Monday, November 26, 2012

Post Thanksgiving report

What a blessed week with the Baker Bunch at Bakersfield! The in-laws brought their horses and I got to ride a horse for the first time. I was a bit nervous but BIL gave some clear instructions and it wasn't as bad as it could have been, meaning I didn't fall off the horse. BIL compared it to riding a motorcycle, being that if you keep your center of gravity above the saddle, everything would be fine. Unlike a motorcycle, a horse has a mind of its own and may not always do what you tell it.

My mom was able to make it for Thanksgiving. I was telling her the story about shooting the 11 point deer and having to haul his 150 pound body up a hill to the tree we use for processing. There was jeering and no sympathy from the rest of the family (they were being humorous). I was just glad she was there to share time with a very loving family that could have only been brought together by God's plan.

Here's the deal about this deer I shot. A lot of the men at our church are hunters. By request I brought the rack of horns for them to see, and also because after church we would be back with the Baker Bunch and they wanted to see the horns first hand. All the church guys were surprised, and frankly I didn't understand why. When BIL saw the rack of horns, he just shook his head.

Apparently I shot a trophy deer, meaning that if anyone else that wasn't a noob hunter like me shot this deer, they would have taken it to a taxidermist and gladly spent the hundreds of dollars to have its head mounted on their living room wall (noob means something similar to a rookie or a newby). Instead, this guy shoots it and is perfectly happy with the 23 pounds of meat that I got off of him. After a couple days, SIL thanked me about shooting the deer because I saved her the money that her husband would have spent on getting this deer mounted.

Last Saturday night we enjoyed the LORD's provision from this deer when we all shared in eating his back strap meat. All of us were lurking about the fryer pan waiting for tasty chicken fried venison. Good stuff!

I have to say that this was the first time in a long time that I felt like a kid about the end of our Thanksgiving holiday. I was sad to see my family go their own ways, and I miss them a bit. I am eager to see them for Christmas for our crazy gift exchange. We already know what we're throwing in, so I am looking forward to time with family again.

In the mean time, if you or anyone you know wants to start hitting people with sticks, or if they want to lighten their armor weight, come to my Etsy shop and check out the starter armor knees I am making. Thanks and God bless!


1 comment:

  1. You did great on the horse and I will always have the satisfaction of knowing that any deer you ever harvest in the future will never bring you the satisfaction that this one did! He was pretty special!

    B-I-L

    ReplyDelete